Someone on Facebook just asked: “I have all the symptoms of a slow thyroid but my tests keep reading normal. Is there anything else I can do?”
This was our response, which we think may help others in our community so we are reposting here.
Generally, yes there are things you can do to support your thyroid regardless of whether your MD thinks you need intervention based on your lab results.
First know that often thyroid symptoms are the result of other primary issues like gut or autoimmune issues or adrenal fatigue.
If after trying some of the following suggestions, you are unable resolve your health complaints, consider working with a functional nutritionist or functional medicine practitioner to do further testing/analysis and problem solving.
As it relates to your thyroid test, make sure your doctor is running a full thyroid panel, not just a TSH and Vitamin D. Ask that a TSH, Free T4, Free T3, Reverse T3, Vit D3, Ferritin, TPO, TgAB, and Iodine be run. Compare the “normal” ranges provided with labs and “optimal” ranges. Consider taking corrective action if you are in the normal range but not optimal.
In the meantime some stuff you can do on your own:
- Increase your protein levels. They transport your thyroid hormone to all the tissues of your body and are important to normalize thyroid function. Actually for all healing.
- Increase the healthy fats in your diet. Cholesterol is a building block of all hormones so without it, you are SOL. Vitamin B5 is also critical in the production of hormones as in, you can’t make hormones without it.
- Eliminate or greatly reduce caffeine and sugar (including high glycemic refined carbs). Consider listening in on our FREE upcoming call (see the video on the facebook page) and/or sign-up for our next 21 Day Sugar Detox at http://vimergii.21dsd.com. If you sign-up for that program (the cheapest is $67, you can join our group coaching calls and get the support you need to kick you sugar/carb cravings good-bye). We also address other questions related to adrenals, hormones, and thyroid as they come up.
- Take a professional grade multi-vitamin/mineral everyday and insure adequate levels of Vitamin D, iodine, omega-3 fatty acids, zinc, copper, selenium, iron, Vitamin A, all the B vitamins.
- Eat whole natural foods and as much organic as possible including grass fed animal products (conventional meats are loaded with hormones that impact our own hormone production).
- Try going gluten-free (and dairy free) for 60 days and see if it positively impacts your symptoms. For us, about 1/2 our clients, it does.
- Consider taking glutathione which is a powerful antioxidant and supports the immune system and is great in the fight against autoimmune problems. It also helps reduce sugar cravings. Nice side benefit.
- Manage your stress levels and practice stress reduction/relaxation.
- Sleep, sleep, sleep. 7-8 hours per night. Every hour before midnight counts for 2 after. If you have problems sleeping watch for our next sleep talk. It’s loaded with helpful hints to help you get your zzzz’s. Super important, you only heal and rebuild while you are SLEEPING!
- Test your adrenals and restore adrenal function. Your adrenals and thyroid support each other and when your adrenals are not functioning optimally, your thyroid has to pick up a greater burden.
- Watch out for goitrogens which are foods that can interfere with thyroid function. Cooking inactivates most of the compounds so you can still eat foods containing them, but be moderate and cook more often.
- Maintain a food, mood, poop journal and watch for food sensitivities. Eliminate those that cause problems (autoimmune, gut, inflammation etc). Consider food sensitivity testing if you can’t resolve with assessment and elimination diet.
- Take a good probiotic. Thyroid function (20-30%) is dependent on a healthy gut. And healthy gut bacteria drives a healthy gut.
- Consider doing a pathogen screening. Yeast and bacteria can be the root cause of many symptoms.
- Remove the toxins in your food and environment (including your personal care products). We will be offering a talk on this in the next 4-6 weeks. Watch for it, you’ll find it helpful.
As an aside, if you want access to professional grade supplements at a great discount, click this link (on this website) https://www.vimergii.com/professional-grade-supplements/ and set-up an account through our dispensary.
If you have questions about which products and dosage, send Denise Trudeau an email at email@example.com. She’ll give further suggestions for products where testing is not required.
If you want more personalized support, consider setting up a consult and we’ll create a complete program for you.
And to get access to the exclusive content we provide to our community, make sure you are on our email list. You can get on it by signing up for our latest eGuide at https://www.vimergii.com/12simplesteps. We don’t spam and we don’t send junk. You can also get on the list by opting into any of the opt-in boxes (several are available).
Hope that helps and gets you on your way to looking and feeling AhhhMazing! 🙂